Friday, March 6, 2015

OK, I'm Worn Out

The plan was to meet Yuki at the Trout Pond and take up where we left off Tuesday. Yuki e-mailed that he was sick and had to pass. I waffled about going or not going. I ended up going.

No Float Tube Cumberland this time, only a fly rod over at the back side of the pond. I figured I'd do a little nymph under a bobber practice. I'm not very good at that, in fact I don't think I've ever caught anything under an indicator.

First up was a gray something. Hows that for a fly name. I've got so many flies I don't know half their names. Next up was a pink Naked Lady. How does he remember that one, you ask? Come on........... Then a red Naked Lady. Then a Prince Nymph (OK, I remember that one because there was one attached to the dorsal fin of the second trout ever on a fly rod). Then I tried a couple different Bugger styles from a fly box I have full of different Bugger styles.

About then frustration set in and I put on a Thin Mint. They have to bite on something. Before I cast the Thin Mint for the first time, I mentioned to the gentleman next to me that it was 10:10 and the biting should begin shortly.

Begin it did. Almost every cast was a bump and I did manage to get one to stay on the line for a few seconds. Then at 10:30 it stopped as if someone just shut it off. I flung Buggers for a while longer and then went to my truck for spinning gear.

I noticed that most were fishing Mouse Tails and not having any, put out one rod with rainbow Power Bait (of course) and the other with Salmon Eggs (trying to imitate roe) under a bobber. I was surprised that I actually got a couple hits on the eggs, but nothing stuck.

Then the Power Bait line went straight and I picked up the rod. As is my manner of fishing, I put my index finger on the line to feel the bite and did just that. I felt the bite, lifted the rod to set the hook (my finger still one the line), and the fish went wild ripping the line along my finger and cutting a nice gouge in it. Don't think I'll do that again. Right, as is my manner of fishing. The fish managed to wrap itself around the line with the bobber and with me trying to untangle it, got away.
Next bite on Power Bait (I now had two rods in with PB), pulled the line, set the hook, and brought a 3+ lb. to the net. I reached for my camera which wasn't there, but still in the truck, damn. I cut the line (2 lb. rule applied) and put it back for another day.

At 12:30 I decided to call it a day because I was getting a little hungry. I packed up everything and as I picked up the last rod, low and behold there was a fish attached to it. I never saw it bite, it never pulled the line, the only thing I can think is that it grabbed it as I picked it up. Who knows. I wasn't keeping one fish so I cut this line also and he went back for another day.

So the Tuesday skunk smell was gone and I think I'll wander back out there again next Tuesday.

Stay tuned.      


  1. I'm glad to hear you've lost the skunk. Sorry about the finger, I can't count the number of times I've done that.

  2. You seem to be getting some of those trout figured out. Pretty fair fishing after you got them turned on. Less fishing pressure on a Tuesday compared to a weekend. Do you think that had anything to do with it?

    1. At this point I think one day is as good as the rest. Tuesday is usually the day after they plant, but there were plenty of fish there yesterday. Camanche is just doing a better job of planting than they've done in the past 5 or 6 years.

  3. There we go. Sounds like they kept you pretty active.

  4. Mark
    At least the power bait proved it can still attract--as I told you before I never fish for crappie without a power nibblet tipped on my hook, the slim from the nibblet is really an attractor. thanks for sharing