Monday, June 5, 2017

Well, That Was Fun

Last Friday when I finished the post, I mentioned I was going up to Cat Creek tomorrow.


Saturday, every body and their brothers, sisters, mothers, fathers, aunts, uncles, grand parents, and great-grand parents, well maybe not great-grand parents, would be up there.

So I waited until this morning. Remember the last time I tried to get up here was only 3 weeks ago and the snow stopped me. Today, not a snowflake to be found. In fact, it was sunshine, blue skies, and 72 degrees. A beautiful day in the mountains.

On the other hand, there must be snow melting somewhere because the water coming down the river was COLD and fast.

The first picture is the pool below the bridge. If there was a fish in that pool, he was probably being smacked around so much that eating a fly was the last thing on his mind.

The pool below the bridge

The pool below the pool below the bridge.
So here is the situation, too much water running too fast to be safe for a Geezer especially since he was up there alone. I didn't see another person the entire time I was up there.

The upstream side of the bridge

The pool below the pool below the bridge.
I went a little downstream just to see if I could possible fish the pool below the pool, but no sense taking chances.

I drove into the camp grounds and found this little area that was pretty calm, but didn't see any fish nor get any hits. It was kind of nice, I had the whole campground to myself. There wasn't even a campground host there yet.  

At the beginning of the campground 
At the back end of the campground I found this little feeder stream and threw some flies in for a half hour or so, but again nothing. But hey, if you don't try you'll never know.

Nice little pool

Little better shot of the pool
At that point I thought maybe a little wandering might be in order. I got back on the road and kept going past the campground. By the way, I know I keep calling it the Cat Creek Campground, but technically it's called the Middle Fork Cosumnes Campground.

About 2 miles up the road I came across a little, what I thought was another drainage creek. Guess what, it was Cat Creek. Didn't find that out until I got home and looked on Google Maps.

Guess I should explore more because this pool was right under the bridge.

I fish the pool from both sides using a Sloan's Paralyzer and those little Rainbows hit it like there was no tomorrow. But hit it was the best I could do. I was only able to bring one 5 incher to hand out of probably 12 to 15 hits. Fast little buggers they were.

A view from the bridge
Then, and I don't know how they do it, at exactly 11:00 am the bite stopped. Nothing I threw out there got a look. I have no clue how they know. It happens so many times it's kind of eerie.

I'd give the river a couple more weeks and it should be fishable. Maybe when we get back from our mid-June trip in the Freedom Express I'll take another drive up.

Stay tuned.


  1. Boy, that's sure some pretty water Mark. I'd sure like to see what it looks and fishes like once the flows come down.

  2. I am with Howard all the way here! Beautiful water and a wise ol' Geezer for not challenging the rough water. Looking forward to your next trip up there.

  3. Hey Mark when you have high water fish the slow areas near the bank. Lots of time the fish will hold there.
    Those gentler creeks look awesome.

    1. Unfortunately Alan, there were no slow areas. Another couple weeks should do the trick.

  4. Mark
    This place is worth the trip back, scenery the alone is worth another outing there---the flow should slow down by the time you make it back, looking forward to the report.